- shoulder beef cut into cubes 1 kg
- onions peeled and sliced 2
- minced garlic clove 1
- olive oil 12 tablespoons
- carrots – peeled and sliced into 3-4 pieces 4
- parsnips peeled and coarsely cut 2
- potatoes coarsely cut 2
- potatoes peeled and evenly diced 6
- artichoke hearts halved 5
- beef stock or water 2 litres
- sprigs of thyme 2
- Bay leaves 4
- cocoa 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot place 8 tablespoons of olive oil and onions, fry until golden brown caramelized, approx.. 10 minutes. Add the garlic and the meat, brown the meat all over.
Add the carrots, parsnips and 2 potatoes coarsely chopped and the artichoke hearts, leave to sweat for approx.. 10 minutes (fry on medium heat).
Add ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, thyme, bay leaves, cocoa and 2 liters of liquids.
Bring to boil on high then cover pot and let simmer for 150 minutes.
Meanwhile on medium heat add to a pot with cold water peeled evenly diced potatoes, cook for 20 minutes. Strain and then add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and mash the potatoes into a puree, add salt.